01 January 2011

Jesus Wants Us To Care For The Ones He Cares For

Matthew 18:10-14

Children's ministry is one of the most important ministries of God's people.  Why?  Because Godly children are Godly people.

Have you ever been around a baby's parent?  Some fathers and mothers are insistent on showing you how smart and cute their children are by having them perform some kind of "trick" for whoever is paying attention.  "Mary.  Who's this?"  Sometimes the baby will point and say, "Gandma."  Other times the baby will not be interested in playing the game and focus their attention on what they are really interested in.

The wonderful and scarily sobering fact about children is that they are always learning.  Always.  They are not just learning when we are actively teaching them.  They are learning even when we are not paying attention.

How does this world I find myself in operate?  What do I need?  How can I get what I need?  What is important?  What is valuable?  Who should I trust?  How should I treat people who show me kindness?  How should I treat people who ignore me?  How should I treat people who are cruel?  How should I talk?  What should I do?  What should I learn? Etc...

"See that you do not look down on one of these little ones.  For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven."

Parents and all of us who live around children are given a responsibility that we will be held to account.  Make no mistake.  Our Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus loves children.  Jesus tells us this plainly.  Why?  Because everything that is done to and around children has profound consequences toward the world we all live in.

Lost children are lost people.  Lost people do not know where they are going.  Lost people do not know who to trust.  Lost people are desperate.  Lost people take as many people with them so they will feel better and less alone while they are lost.  Lost people become angry.  Lost people become lazy and apathetic.  Lost people lose hope.  Some lost people don't realise they are lost until it is too late.

Be careful church.  Be careful parents.  Be careful neighbours.  "In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost."

Father, forgive me when I ignore the words of your Son.  Please always remind me through your Spirit.  Wisdom teaches me that many wounds will never heal completely.

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, Lance, this is great. It is also one of the reason I no longer attend a church as I just don't like what comes out of there. John uses the same term--lost--when we find a Christian who is, well, not following Jesus so carefully. I feel we are all accountable to each other. That means I have to ask God to give me the grace and mercy to forgive and accept things--even downright evil. New Years resolution number 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan. I think Matthew goes along the same line of thought as you do since the topics you bring up here are addressed in the next couple of Jesus' teachings.

    Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I just came across your blog by doing a bit of blog-surfing and I'm glad I did! I've added myself as your newest follower, and I hope you'll check out my Christian devotional site as well: www.nocondemnation81.blogspot.com

    Have a blessed day!

    In Christ,
    Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dakota! Thanks for following this blog and I hope it helps your walk with Christ. I will visit your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete